The Sisters of St. Martha of Antigonish were formally established as a religious congregation in 1900.
The Sisters of Saint Martha were formally established as a religious congregation in 1900 after a providential beginning almost a decade earlier. The first members came from a group of women who responded to a call from Bishop Cameron in 1894. Receiving their formation from the Sisters of Charity of Halifax, they came to St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, to serve in the ministry of household management.
We share in the mission of Jesus, and seek through him a deepening faith relationship with God, who is the source of all life. We work for the development of persons, for the improvement of human and social conditions, with special concern for the poor, so the world and its peoples, may continue to grow in Christ. We respond to the needs of the human family with living faith in God who gifts us with God's strength. This faith expresses itself in loving service to others, in our pioneering spirit, in our joyful simplicity, and in our welcoming presence among ourselves and those to whom we are sent.
We are a Martha Presence in a variety of places in Canada, and St. Kitts, West Indies. In Canada we work for the development of persons in mainland Nova Scotia: Antigonish, Little Dover, Trenton and throughout Pictou County; Cape Breton: Inverness, Louisbourg, Main A Dieu, Sydney and Sydney Mines; Alberta: Calgary and Lethbridge; Quebec: St. Paul’s River.